Super seed breakfast porridge with golden berries and almonds
While visiting Vancouver a few months ago, I fell in love with Boring Porridge – a healthy, filling fiber-rich breakfast porridge that was unlike anything I’d ever had.
Call me silly, but my first taste of it proved a little…well, boring! I dressed it up on the second go with flavored nut milk and fresh fruit. Now we’re talkin’.
This is my take on their porridge. It’s gluten-free, soy-free, and exploding with super foods. Plus, you can build on the base to make something that fits what you happen to have in your cabinets and fridge. Who doesn’t love a little flexibility in a recipe?
The cereal is ridiculously high in fiber and heart-healthy fats thanks to the seeds and nuts. A little goes a long way with this one, so don’t be surprised by the small serving sizes. Once you add the milk and some fruit, you have a very hearty and comforting breakfast option that comes together in minutes.
Curious about golden berries? A serious super food, these raisin-like tart berries are carried in most health food stores and online. Rich in beta carotene, Vitamin A, and bioflavonoids, you will find excuses to add these flavor explosions to almost everything. But don’t say I didn’t warn you about the tart.
The porridge is delicious warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- 1 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch sea (or Himalayan) salt
- 1/4 cup almonds (or nut of choice)
- 1/4 golden berries
- Top with berry of choice and a drizzle of maple or agave
- Serve with your favorite nut milk (vanilla is my favorite)
- Don’t be afraid to double, triple, or even quadruple this recipe. It keeps very well in the fridge in an airtight container. Just scoop about a half cup into a bowl, top with your favorite fruit, and go!