Quick, Easy, & Delicious Black Bean Tostadas
I am leaving for Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health today as a birthday present to myself. Four days of unplugged, yoga-induced bliss in the mountains of Massachusetts. Sigh.
Anyway, this week has been a whirlwind of activity, and I needed a quick and easy meal to keep me going. Tostadas are one of my tried-and-true dinner recipes. They have tremendous versatility, and are easy to adapt for meat-eaters and picky eaters. It’s the perfect dish when you have a plethora of palates to please.
The best part is that it comes together in 15-20 minutes, and most of that is inactive time. Dinner win!
Feel free to get creative with the toppings…that’s where the magic of this dish really comes to life. Have some leftover vegan sausage hanging out in the fridge? Chop it up and toss it on top! Need to figure out a way to use some leftover onions or mushrooms? Sauté them and add them to the mix. I’ve offered my favorite toppings below, but just use this as a base and turn it into your own masterpiece of flavor.
- – 4 corn tortillas (sprouted corn are optimal, if available)
- – 1 can of black beans
- – 1/2 tsp cumin
- – 1/4 tsp cayenne
- – Pinch salt & pepper
- – 1 tsp minced jalapeno (optional)
- – Daiya cheese shreds
- – Salsa or chopped tomatoes
- – Shredded greens
- – Chopped cilantro
- – Avocado slices or guacamole
- – Hot sauce
- – Chopped onions
- – Sauteed mushrooms
- – Lime, to finish
- 1. Put tortillas directly in a cold oven on a center grate, and turn oven on to 350. Bake for 10 minutes, or until tortillas are crispy.
- 2. Bring black beans, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, and jalapeño to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Turn heat down to low and mash beans with a potato masher or a fork.
- 3. Prep toppings. If using Daiya or another cheese alternative, go to step 4. Otherwise, skip to step 5.
- 4. Place crispy tortillas on a baking sheet. Divide bean mixture evenly among the four tortillas. Sprinkle each tostada with cheese and bake 6 minutes at 350.
- 5. If you aren’t using a cheese topping, plate the crispy tortillas and divide the bean mixture evenly among the four tortillas.
- 6. Pile toppings on each tostada. Add a wedge of lime to each plate – a squeeze of lime on the finished product is delightfully bright and refreshing.
- 7. Serve with chips & salsa, a corn salad, or your favorite Mexican side.